Sunday, January 07, 2007

Standing Up When Everyone Else is Sitting on Their Hands


(http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2007/01/03/image2324879g.jpg)

Say what you like about Oprah, but there are times when her ability to stand up for those who cannot stand for themselves always impresses me. I'm sure her publicist has something to say about each of her choices, but seeing a need (as most of us do) and doing something to fill that need (something most of us don't do) are two different things. In a recent story reported by Denis Farell/AP, Oprah Winfrey opened the doors of her $40 million South Africa "leadership academy," giving 152 impoverished young women a shot at a brighter future. "Students, who are all from South Africa and can be of any race, have been chosen based on factors ranging from financial hardship (the girls' families must have a household monthly income below $700) to compelling personal histories."

Of course, we here in the United States welcomed her back home with a wall of criticism wondering why she sends so much of her own money overseas when plenty of U.S. schools could use the support. We're always quick to criticize others when what they do shines a light on what we're NOT doing. Our job is to stand for the children placed in our care, and to do it to the best of our ability. Oprah doesn't have children of her own. Her quote says it all. "I now know this is why I never had children myself. These are my girls, and I love them, every one of them. This is the proudest, greatest day of my life. When you educate a girl, you educate a family, a community - you change the face of a nation."

This is a powerful statement, one I pray parents of girls will consider strongly. Teach your daughters well! Let's not worry about what others do and don't do for children. Make sure you stand strong for your children and hopefully they won't need an Oprah in their life later to stand for them. But I'm glad when there's no one else around Oprah and those like her take a step forward to stand in the gap.

For those of you who have daughters, I love this song by John Mayer. Enjoy!

No comments: