Monday, June 25, 2007

Crossing the Line


Would you break the law to get your child what he or she needs?
Consider this story in today's Los Angeles Times. . .

Schools Call Roll at a Border Crossing
"Children who are U.S. citizens or legal immigrants but live in Mexico cross every morning to get a better education for free in Arizona, breaking the law that requires them to live within the boundaries of the district. To many of their parents, who have ties in both countries, not living in the district is the educational equivalent of jaywalking."

Parents do it all the time.

Consider this article as well - Would you break the law to get your child an education?

Do we stretch the truth with our pediatrician so he'll write a prescription for an antibiotic when it isn't quite time for one? Do we lie about our child's age to get him on a particular sports team?

This is such a difficult topic, but it is so common. I'm not here to judge. I just would like to hear your justification for why you do what you do.

I'm not innocent here, but I made a choice a number of years ago to let that tactic go from my life.

Just curious about your thoughts.

1 comment:

The World In The Eyes Of Brothers said...

Depending on what they have done I would do anything to protect my kids. Lovely picture.