Friday, February 16, 2007

Be Careful Little Eyes What You See

(photo originally posted on http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/people/showphoto.php?photo=7411)

Today's media bombards our children with images and ideas that they are just not equipped to process. It's getting harder and harder to watch what they watch, listen to what they listen to, and play what they play on the computer or video game console. As parents we can stand in the gap by previewing as much as possible those things that their little eyes see and their little ears hear.

I wrestled with bringing the following issue to your attention as it is controversial and somewhat horrifying. But if we're going to stand up for our children, we need to be informed. I want to tell you about a new RPG (role playing game) available for computer that is sweeping the country, both because some people are just plain twisted and others are dangerously curious.

"Super Columbine Massacre RPG!" created by Danny Ledonne, has hit the streets with a game that puts the players in the roles of the Columbine shooters, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, as they shoot up the school.

WHY WOULD ANYONE CREATE A GAME LIKE THIS???

That is the question of the day. The firestorm surrounding this game has been reported all over the internet and in gaming magazines like GameInformer. My fifteen year old son called this game to my attention as a horrifying example of game developers gone wild. A few years ago, when I spoke to 3 million radio listeners about choosing video games for children, the most violent game quoted was tame in comparison to this one.

With real security camera footage, news footage, and the killers personal diaries and other writings, this game turns the knife in the already fatally wounded souls who gave their lives that day and their families. My outrage was hard to contain.

But I have to do as I prescribe. Make sure I know the opposing point of view before I spout off about my own opinion. My opinion must be based on evidence and the only way to get that evidence is to do my homework. If you want to do your homework too, you can read for yourself what the game developers say about their product. Discernment comes after careful investigation. In order to stand firm for your child, take the time to know your opposition.

My personal opinion is that there is no place for this product, no matter how artfully the developers tried to convey their message. It is not necessary to see through the eyes of these killers in order to understand what happened and why. I'd rather focus on how God triumphed that day instead.

No comments: